Monday 21 January 2013

Flamenco Friday

Hellooooo dear guests!

It has been quite some time since I last blogged!  So much has been happening.  And to top it all off, my computer and the machinations behind Blogger, have been playing up!  (We won't mention my lack of left brain and IT skills on these matters!!!).

I have to tell you about the wonderful concert I was at on Friday night.  I have quite varied tastes in music - I listen to all sorts of things. From heavy metal to Dolly Parton (o yes, I'm a HUGE Dolly fan!), to classical music. Although I'm perdominantly a fan of 'metal! 

Anyhoos, on Friday night I went to see Vicente Amigo - one of the world's most renowned Flamenco Guitarists.  And I have to say, dear guests, I am not yet recovered!  What an experience!  Absolutely amazing.  Words can't describe.  I didn't know anything about him before Friday, or what his music was like.  The ticket for the show was a Christmas present and it was a bit strange going to see somebody I hadn't even heard of.  But holy smokes!  What an experience!!!!!  

Carminho, a most amazing and wonderful Fado singer, started off proceedings.  Her voice transported me to a whole n'other world.  Absolutely jaw-dropping stuff!  I was introduced to the music of Mariza a few years ago and from the first listening, was converted!  Amazing.  I seen her in concert a couple of times and was absolutely blown away.  Both Carminho and Mariza have such wonderful energy and the language of Fado, the fables, the tales, the stories, are just amazing. 

And to top it all off, we were right in the front row, seeing all the action, with an unblocked view of the evening's proceedings! I'm not that tall, and always, ALWAYS, at 'metal concerts, some big tall greasy guy who's less acquainted with a bar of soap and a can of deodorant than is proper, ALWAYS stands right in front of me. Blocking my view and sending my senses into oblivion with the reek! Yuk! And vomit! Eugh!

However, Friday's proceedings were MUCH more civilised!!!!

I was absolutely mesmerised by the colour, passion and pain that both artists portrayed through their singing and music. Still am! Quite an irony, given that as I type this, there is a few inches of snow accumulating outside and it's absolutely freezing!!!!!  The music and songs were so vibrant.  Invigorating even!  I was seeing magentas, turquoises, vivid lilacs!!!!  Luminescent music!  I'm still on a high.......And I don't want to come down for quite some time!!!!!!

A few years ago when I was at college, I studied the culture and traditions of Mexico.  I love all things Day of the Dead and the rituals, ceremonies, art works and music that's made to celebrate the lives of those who have passed on!  Anyway, as part of this project, I painted these pictures of a Spanish guitar that was in the art room, neglected and unnoticed in a corner of the room.  I thought it really sad that such an instrument should meet such a lonely and dusty demise!

This first painting is a still life, rendered in acrylics:


 
 
This was my first foray into still life painting!  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, given how inexperienced I was at the time.  
 
But of course, me being me, couldn't really cope with the "real life" colours of the still life objects.  And with all the colour and passion of Mexican art and music that I'd been researching, I simply HAD to render the same objects in a much more vibrant way!  And of course, include the obligatory skull in there somewhere!  I love skulls too and will be doing a series of artworks based on skulls in the coming months!
 
But before all that, here is the second painting of the Spanish Guitar, based on the first still life:
  




Now, THAT'S more like it!

Now that I've sorted out some of the IT issues, I'll be back later this week with more art, creativity and chatterboxing!
Thanks for stopping by today.

Wendy






5 comments:

  1. So u will sit in front rows then ...... That isn't what u said when u were dragged kicking and screaming to c kd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let it be noted that I have gone above and beyond to keep you happy dear Wend! Although the THREE KD Lang concerts take the biscuit! Let it also be noted that I will NOT survive a 4th concert...

      Delete
    2. Was it not only two concerts ..... have you had a premonition about a third one;-)

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo, I think I've managed to post a comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog. Please provide your comment here: