Monday 3 December 2012

ARTYADVENT: 3rd December

Welcome Dear Guest to the third instalment of ArtyAdvent.  In honour of the first snow of the winter, we have a lovely snowflake, created using inks.



DID YOU KNOW...

Snowflakes start life when water droplets in the earth's atmosphere freeze.  As the droplets freeze, the water crystalises to form ice.  Temperature, humidity and air currents influence the size and shape of the ice crystals.  Although each snowflake is unique, there are generally 2 forms: six-sided hexagon and needle.  The colder the temperature, the more intricate the structure of the snowflake. 

Water is clear, ice is clear, yet snow appears white.  This is because snowflakes have so many light reflecting surfaces that scatter the light, making the snow look white.

William Bentley, from Vermont, was one of the first people to photograph snowflakes, in the early 1900s.  You can see more of his amazing photographs at:
http://snowflakebentley.com

So there you go.  That's this week's dose of science!  I can't guarantee that tomorrow's ArtyAdvent will be so intellectual!  Ha!

I hope you all enjoy the snow - some of the scenes here are very christmassy!  Especially the hills....not that I'll be trekking out....I'll just view it all from the cosy living room.....

Thanks for checking today's ArtyAdvent.  See you tomorrow.

Wendy

2 comments:

  1. That snowflake is divine! Popped over from Jo's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wendy! Your art work is just fantastic (I love it, you cleaver thing) I also love the fact that when I return from my working day to check my E mails that I can also pop over and check out your advent for the day.Thank You,for the advent art great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog. Please provide your comment here: