Wednesday 5 December 2012

ARTYADVENT: 5th December

Good morning ArtyAdventers!  I hope you are all well.  Today, for your delectation, we have a BIG FAT CHRISTMAS PUDDING!  This was created using inks and acrylic on a newspaper ground. 

 
 
 
I should say something about the scale of these artworks.  This BIG FAT PUDDING is about  22cm diameter.  It turned out rather well, seeing as I literally couldn't wait for the paint and ink to dry before adding more!!!!
 
And you can't always see all the layers from the final image, which does lose some of the finer detail of how the whole image is composed.  So here's some close ups:
 
 






DID YOU KNOW....

Christmas pudding originated in the Middle Ages and it was more of a thick soup rather than the rotund puddings we eat today.  It started off a mixed meat dish - with poultry, rabbit, pheasant and partridge.  Later, sugar and fruits were added, such as lemons, candied oranges, raisins and apples.  In the late 1500s alcohol was added to the recipe and because of this, the Puritans banned it, as it was considered ungodly!

Christmas Pudding became traditional in the UK in the more recent Victorian times, when it took on the "pudding shape"!  Often trinkets and coins would be added to the mixture - perhaps not so good for teeth!?!?!   Thankfully Greggs don't adopt such stupidity - can you imagine biting in to a roasting toasting steak bake only to have yer gnashers broken by a trinket?  I don't fancy that!

I myself am not a fan of the Christmas Pudding.  I am very partial to pudding.  And I do like Christmas.  But not both combined!  I do like drawing them though!  Although I nearly did eat this one, because some of the colours of ink and paint that I used are my absolute favourites - phthalo blue, magenta, purple! VERY edible colours.

I hope you enjoyed today's ArtyAdvent.  Thanks for stopping by.  You can leave comments by clicking on the "no comment" text at the foot of this blog.  (PS I still don't know why it asks for no comments!?!?!?!?!).

As for me...

All this chat about puddings has got me hungry.  I'm off now to find something proper to eat.  Paint and ink are not really that nutritious!  So I'm thinking it's Crisps O'clock, swiftly followed by Galaxy O'clock.  The galaxy being a chocolate galaxy, rather than an outer space one!  Although I'd probably give an outer space one a go, right enough! 

I hope you'll join me tomorrow for the next instalment of ArtyAdvent.

Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog. Please provide your comment here: